Agreed action plan for the re-engagement by TFT on GAR’s upstream plantation operations
As of January 2019, TFT has become Earthworm Foundation.
Following the 19 May 2015 suspension of TFT’s work with GAR on its upstream operations, the two organisations have now agreed a series of time-bound conditions which both TFT and GAR hope will see a return to full collaboration within the coming months.
The following represents a public summary of the agreed criteria for re-engagement and is accompanied by a far more detailed action plan that has been agreed between the two organisations.
Criteria for suspension of membership to be lifted are as follow:
- Conservation Maps are reviewed for all PTs to agree areas for active conservation.
- Progress to close the gaps from the TFT Risk Assessments and Due Diligence work plans and Corrective Action Requests (CARs)
- Restoration for HCS breaches and riparian zones. (1,500 ha for HCS breaches)
- Forest Peoples Programme (FPP)/ Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) issues are being addressed.
- No breaches in conservation areas by GAR based on indicative conservation maps.
- New Sustainability/Forest Conservation Policy (FCP) implementation team in place reporting at the highest level, with a re- energised commitment to working with TFT in a spirit of sharing and collaboration.
- GAR’s Forest Conservation Policy (FCP) has been reviewed and enhanced to adopt a leading edge industry position (to be published by the end of July 2015).
- All development/planting must be in line with this new and enhanced FCP.
- Engage key stakeholders to discuss the establishment of a conservation and restoration initiative to address legacy issues.
- Continue KADIN/IPOP communications/engagement (along with other related institutions) to support advocacy for a pro-conservation regulatory environment.
- Work with TFT to ensure all third party suppliers are brought into line with the requirements of the enhanced FCP and that a process is in place to address non-compliant suppliers which is strongly adhered to.
- Take part in a pilot assessment for TFT’s Grassroots Initiative, thereby supporting the building of capacity in Indonesian civil society to monitor company’s impacts on the physical and social environment.
TFT and GAR will continue to provide monthly updates on progress against the above criteria.