Earthworm Foundation is an international dynamic non-profit organization which helps companies transform their supply chains across the world for the benefit of people and nature.
Earthworm Foundation is seeking a motivated Project Coordinator (Social & Human Rights) based in Sabah, Malaysia with knowledge in migration, labour rights issues or child protection, excellent communication and writing skills, passionate about working in the business and human rights space to drive transformation across connected supply chains, and interested in a career with a dynamic non-profit that builds relationships with companies, governments and civil society organizations to bring responsible products to market.
The selected candidate will be part of the Respect Program team, which focuses on ensuring the rights and well-being of workers and their families in supply chains. In Malaysia, the Respect program focuses on ethical recruitment of migrant workers, forced and bonded labour and children in plantations.
Your job :
The Project Coordinator will be primarily responsible for the delivery of Earthworm Foundation's labour work in Sabah. Under the guidance and coordination of the Social Specialist, the project coordinator is expected to support the social team on other social and labour related activities in Sabah.
Below some of the activities the role will be supporting :
Labour Transformation Programme (LTP) 40%
- Labour Transformation Programme (LTP) engagements, ensuring timely and high-quality delivery of project activities and outputs
- Development of training materials and conduct topical training for landscape companies
- Analysis, scoring, and reporting of data collected
- Design of improvement actions plans based on data analysis and scoring
- Assessments (including document reviews, management and worker interviews, site observation)
- Mapping on labour stakeholders and service providers in Sabah
- Planning and attendence to stakeholder meetings and events and draft meeting minutes
Ethical Recruitment (15%)
- Situation analysis of migrant workers recruitment and employment in Sabah
- Update Ethical Recruitment Due Diligence tool (ERDD) tool adapted for Sabah context
- Socialise ERDD toolkit to the relevant government agency and oil palm companies
- Capacity building and training on how oil palm companies can use the ERDD toolkit
Operational Grievance Mechanism (10%)
- Socialisation of operational grievance mechanism to oil palm companies
- Guidance to companies to develop and implement operational grievance mechanism for workers
Trainings and Webinars (30%)
- Organisation and delivery of onsite or online training to government agency on forced labour issues
- Development of training materials and related documentation
- Establish and maintain in depth knowledge of the social and human rights challenges, relevant laws and policies, and grievances in the landscape,
especially related to the commodities we actively work in.
- Provide strategic ideas for new projects and business development opportunities
- Translate documents into Bahasa Melayu
- Support smallholder teams to build their capacity on forced labour
- Proactively share information and updates with colleagues in Malaysia and overseas
- Provide advice and support to other projects or teams where needed (e.g. for field visits, assessments, trainings, report writing, research, resource development, analysis etc.)
- Keep project documentation updated and accessible (server, Box)
- Bachelor/Postgraduate degree holder or other equivalent higher-level training in relevant field: social development, international development, social science, human rights, supply chain management, social sustainability,
- At least 3 years work experience in palm oil industry or related context in human rights, preferably in labour rights.
- Experience in labour rights, migrant workers employment, ethical recruitment, grievance mechanism
- Understanding of the palm oil sector, other agribusiness, MSPO/RSPO is an advantage
- Basic project management skills with ability to meet deadlines and be accountable for deliverables
Personal characteristics :
- Passion for working on issues related to sustainability, resilience, and agriculture
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both for online and face to face, internal and external
- Strong problem-solving skills and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Ability to remain calm and compose in stressful environment
- Ability to simplify concepts and make ideas concrete
- Have a growth and experimental mind-set, ability to take calculated risk and adapt to changes in an organised manner
- Have the hunger and the humility to learn, can think independently and good attention to details
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work autonomously
- Committed to Earthworm Foundation values
- English and Bahasa Malaysia proficiency.
- Other languages are an advantage but not a requirement.
Working conditions / Physical effort
- Based in Sabah, and participate in field trips to remote areas.
- Desk work with regular travel in the region for assessments/site visits/workshops/forums/business development/other meetings.
- 2-year renewable contract, based on performance and funding.
- Malaysian citizenship
Interested candidates should send an updated CV along with a 1 page cover letter outlining interest in the role via email to email@example.com Application will be accepted on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found.
Please insert your last name and PCMsiaRespect2023 in the subject line of the email. Successful candidates will be contacted by email or phone for an initial screening interview. Only candidates who send a full application will be considered. Only selected candidates will be contacted.